Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First day of preschool.

I actually felt nervous for him today. Not the usual happy and relieved, the way a mom of a crazy preschooler should feel. When he woke up today, he kept asking me if he was going to school. I told him yes, but it was never good enough. He kept saying to me that he wanted to go "right now." Well finally the hour came and he eagerly put on his back pack. (for the 100th time) He wore it around all morning in hopes that he would soon be able to walk out the door. When the moment came, he was all smiles. I walked him down the street. As the school is on our same street.

He was glad to finally go, but he was a little nervous when we got into the classroom. Some of the other boys and girls walked up to him and started talking to him immediately. He just gave them a blank stare. I offered up a smile. This might take some getting used to. I waited in the classroom for about 10 minutes. When I left, I told him that I would be sitting out in the hallway. And I did for another 3o minutes. I just wanted to make sure that he didn't have a total meltdown in that situation. He was surrounded by 12 other boys and girls, and two teachers who didn't speak any English. The thought of it all sounds pretty overwhelming, even to me.

He didn't even cry. He didn't even plead for me not to go. He just said, OK. And I told him that it would be OK. I walked away, and didn't hear another peep. But I did spy him begin to play with some of the cars that were out on the table. Mommy hopes this is a good sign.

(Before I was able to publish this post, Dh called me. He said that the school called him to inform him that Eddie was crying. A little bit. And then they began to paint. And all was good with the world once again.)

So I walked back down to the school, an hour before he was supposed to be picked up. There was no crying. And I peeked into his room, the teachers smiled at me. And told me that he was doing OK. So I sat for a few more minutes, and he came walking past to the restroom with another boy. He didn't even see me. I watched him talk to the boy, and to the teacher. They had no idea what he was saying. It didn't seem to bother him at all. He just went right on talking. He washed his hands, and when I snuck up behind him, the biggest smile ever crept across his lips. I felt better. As I am quite certain that he did too.

While he put his jacket on to leave, I asked him if he liked his classroom. He said yes. I asked him if he wanted to come back again tomorrow, he smiled and said yes. Only this time a little more enthusiastically. We told the teachers hasta manana. (Until tomorrow, or see you tomorrow) And I waved and added, "Gracias."

Here is my little boy. Off to his first full immersion adventure at his new preschool. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, so good.





And here is Miss Alexa. Just hanging out today. I couldn't get her to look at the camera. And she also took out her hair scrunchy. She just won't cooperate with those things sometimes. This is one of those times. I'd like to go on and tell you more, but Eddie is standing in front of me naked right now, and Alexa is screaming. I'm not quite sure why. So blogging must take a backseat. For now.

post signature

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it will always be harder on us than it is to them. Not sure why, it just is. I loved how you waited for him. So sweet!

And Alexa? So. freaking. adorable! I love her hair, honey! She is too cute!

Dawn said...

It sounds like he had a great day!! And he wants to go back tomorrow! Yay!! Your kids are precious!!

Susan said...

That is a lot to handle for a little guy, but it sounds like he did great. We moved a lot when I was growing up and I always remember my mom being so nervous for me, but I was always over it within minutes.
What a great thing for him to be able to learn Spanish in full immersion like that.

Anti-Supermom said...

Could your kids be any cuter - really.

I think us mommies worry enough for everyone, that it's no big deal to them.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had no idea that he would be immersed like that! What a wonderful experience. BabyAm is in 3rd year Spanish, loves it and probably wishes she could do that. Hummm...maybe I should look into Pre-school for her! LOL - Maybe as a teachers Assistant though. :)

Congrats to both of you for making it through the day!

Frizzy said...

Beautiful post and photos. Thanks for coming by my place in CA yesterday. It was nice meeting you.

Anonymous said...

He looks so CUTE!! we can hardly stand it. I just hope that he starts getting it really quickly. I'm glad he just jumps in and starts talking to them anyway.
I know how nervous I feel about this for him, so I can imagine how you must be feeling!
I'm so glad that you are NOT far away to go and scoop him up ~ if need be!! lol

Give him hugs from us! We love you guys!
Your Sister

Lynda said...

Thanks for stopping by my site today via BATW! Your kids are ADORABLE!

Laural Out Loud said...

What an amazing experience you are giving him! He's going to be blabbing fluently in Spanish in no time!

Mama Smurf said...

I can see how that language barrier adds a whole new dimension of anxiety to the 1st day of school. Seems as if you both handled it like champs!