Saturday, March 14, 2009

random-ness

Today I went to a lovely place for lunch. It's called Chopped. They make your salad to order, and cut it up right in front of you. I could tell that it was going to be good when we couldn't even get a parking space out front. The entire lot was full, and people were parking in adjacent lots and walking over just to get in. The line was very long, and every seat in the place was taken. While we stood in line, and while we ordered I kept eyeing the colorful salads that were whisked by me, and marveled at the size of the salads that were being eaten at almost every table. They also serve soups and sandwiches there, and have a few good choices for their kids menu. I pondered how I was going to eat a salad of that proportion. In my lifetime, I have never ever finished any single salad that was placed in front of me, not one that was ordered as a main dish. You see, there is always too much. So I always end up leaving some. Today was different.




I.ate.the.whole.thing. Oh, how yummy it was. I mean, I just couldn't stop. You see, sometimes I have a real problem with salads because the person who prepared it, did not cut the lettuce up in small enough pieces. And this salad had perfectly chopped pieces. It was amazing! I kid you not. I enjoyed it so much. I am actually plotting when to drag any one of my family members back there again. Oh, and to let you in on a little secret, they use a tool called a mezzaluna. It's an arched shaped double cutting thingy. It's soo cool.



So we went promptly over to Williams Sonoma and purchased one. Well, actually my mom got one from that store. I bought mine from Crate and Barrel. Mine came with a wood chopping block. I love it. I want a salad right now.

We did a little shopping. And my kids stayed with their loving Aunt. Today was a glorious day. A fabulous salad, topped with kid free time is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Oh, and did I mention that dh is coming home?? We are soo psyched about this, I can't stand it. I miss him so much. He will be getting here on Saturday.

Oh and please forgive the quality of the pictures, they were all taken from my cell phone. Here is one of me and my babes from this morning. The thing that gets me in this picture, is how long Alexa looks. Her legs, her whole self. She looks huge to me. Just huge. She's only 2 1/2.




12 comments:

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

What a cool place to eat! Sounds fun! Enjoy your time with dh!

Patrice said...

Lol love that you figured out what they used & got one for yourself! Good thinking!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Totally agree on the need for chopped lettuce. One of my favorite salads from a place around here is a chopped salad and I love the perfect fork sized pieces. Too bad Tuscon isn't on our itinerary or I'd be getting myself a salad!

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

Oh that is so cool!!! I want one now, I am a HUGE salad eater. Ive never heard of that place before sounds neat.
Woohooo have fun w/the man-glad he is coming home to you all!

Unknown said...

One of the best salads I have ever had was in Chicago. It was an Italian chopped salad. I still crave it, but not for the ingredients as much as for the bite-sized pieces. And that dang mezzaluna is a great tool. Nigella Lawson turned me onto it a few years ago. You will find that you search for a reason to use it!!!

Mama Smurf said...

And now I must have a mezzaluna!

Blythe said...

That sounds AMAZING. I'm getting so sick of dining hall salads at college, and would love (love,love,love) to get a truly yummy salad!

Keri said...

Oooo, I love me a good salad! I need to find out if we have a "Chopped" near us. Sounds like a dream come true!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad to meet another Military Momma in the blogshere ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Les;
Yes the "Chopped" place was the cat's whiskers. It is locally owned and operated but their salads are very much like the California Pizza Kitchen's salads.
One of my favorite places here in Tucson, Az and especially to share it with my daughter.
Love ya;
Mom

Alicia W. said...

I wish we had a place like that here in SC! I LOVE salad and that looks fantastic.

Tania said...

Hmmm...mezzaluna. Another must-have kitchen gadget for my ever growing collection? My husband tells me every house we own/rent from now on needs to have a big kitchen with lots of cupboards to hold all my stuff!

Haven't tried Chopped yet, but it looks yummy! I like Sweet Tomatoes, so my hubs and I tried Souper Salad last weekend and did.not.like.it. Oh well...now we know!

Oh yeah, you're kids are soo cute!

Laural Out Loud said...

OMG, I LOVE chopped salads! It would be like I'd died and gone to heaven if they opened a place like that where I live. I'm going to have to buy that mezzaluna thing!